Action songs are great as at first, the child can just join in the actions. As they hear it more and more, they can begin to join in.
After singing it lots and lots you can begin to leave a space for your child to fill in. Encourage whatever they attempt by smiling and encouragement. Do wait for them.
Here are a few for starters but do think of your own.
• Sing greeting songs – HELLO…. (granny or daddy or teacher’s name) HELLO ________….
• Roly poly roly poly, up up up, roly poly roly poly, down down down… Roly poly roly poly out out out…. roly poly roly poly IN IN IN… roly poly very slowly……. (increase the anticipation) FASTER FASTER FASTER…. etc.
• The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round, ALL DAY LONG!
– add as many verses as you want!
The horn on the bus goes beep beep beep etc
The children on the bus go up and down
The daddies on the bus go sleep sleep sleep
The mummies on the bus go chatter chatter chatter
The babies on the bus go wah wah wah
The lights on the bus go on and off
The doors on the bus go open and shut
• This is the way we ——- (add in what you are doing) e.g. wash our hands, wash our hands, wash our hands. this is the way we wash our hands, WASH WASH WASH.
This is the way we dry our hands etc.
This is the way we clean our teeth
This is the way we go to school
This is the way we make chaptis, make chapatis, make chapatis…..
This is the way we make our porridge, make our porridge etc.
• Old Macdonald had a farm e i e i o! and on that farm he had some….. cows, e i e i o…. with a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo…. Old Macdonald had a farm, e i e i o….
Old Macdonald had a farm, e i e i o…. and on that farm he had a pig etc.
• Turn around. Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Touch the ground. Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Show your shoes. Teddy bear, Teddy bear, That will do. This is Teddy Bear. Teddy can go upstairs.
• Tap little finger, tap little finger, tap little finger tap tap tap. Point to the ceiling, point to the floor, put it on your HEAD…..
Tap little finger, tap little finger, tap little finger tap tap tap. Point to the ceiling, point to the floor, put it on your NOSE…..
put it on your ARM….. etc.
• Row row row your boat, gently down the stream…. If you see a crocodile, don’t forget to scream….. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Row row row your boat, gently up the creek, if you see a little mouse, don’t forget to squeak…. eek eeek eeek
Row row row your boat, gently up the shore, if you see a lion, don’t forget to roar ROAAAARRRRR
• If you’re happy and you know it CLAP YOUR HANDS (clap clap), if you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands, (clap clap), if you’re happy and you know it and you really want to show it, if you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it stamp your feet
If you’re happy and you know it, shout hurrayyyyy HURRAY!!!
If you’re happy and you know it…… (make up your own)
• Nursery rhymes e.g. Humpty dumpty sat on the wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the king’s horses and all the king’s men, couldn’t put humpty together again.
Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool, yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full. One for the master, one for the dame, and one for the little boy who lives down the lane.
Include your own favourites from your own repetoire.
Got a question for Rosie?
If there’s something you would like Rosie to address in her blog, then don’t hesitate to get in touch – click the button below and submit your enquiry.